Are you looking for a side hustle, but you struggle with coming up with ideas? We have collected a huge list of side hustle ideas you can start today!
Gig Economy Based Side Hustle Ideas
- Walk dogs – with apps like Wag!, the “Uber for dog walking,” you can walk dogs in your town, get some exercise, and earn some extra money.
- Deliver for Postmates – If you live in a city where Postmates is an option, you can deliver groceries and other items.
- Be a pet sitter – Take care of a furry friend for a fee with apps like Rover.
- Recycle used smartphones- There are services that take used smartphones, like Gazelle, and many big-box retailers have started placing phone recycling kiosks from ecoATM in their stores. To turn this into a hustle, consider doing some local advertising to get people to give you their old devices to save them the trouble. You provide the service and get the cash!
- Answer questions on JustAnswer – if you know a lot about a particular subject.
- Give your opinion on apps and websites with UserTesting.com.
- Help people move with Dolly.
- Read books and write summaries with Instaread.
Online Survey Side Hustle Ideas
These websites will pay you to take surveys and give your opinion on a variety of topics:
- Survey Junkie – is an online survey platform that pays users for sharing their opinions.
- Swagbucks – Save money with coupons, promo codes, sales, and cashback when you shop for clothes, electronics, travel, groceries, gifts & home ware.
- Vindale Research – is a market research company that collects consumer data to help companies improve their products and services.
- Inbox Dollars – will let you watch TV and videos, and you’ll get some cents for your views.
- One Opinion – conducts surveys on behalf of the world’s leading market research companies.
- Survey Club – is essentially a survey aggregator site. They will often take you to other sites to complete a survey.
- VIP Voice – is an online research community that’s part of The NPD Group.
- My Points – Earn Reward Points for shopping online and in-store, taking paid surveys, dining out, and discovering content.
- Harris Poll Online – is one of the oldest and most prestigious polls in the world, operating for more than 45 years with a focus on the US and Canadian markets.
Get Paid to Search
Believe it or not, some companies pay you to search the internet.
- Bing Rewards – Earn rewards just for searching on Bing. When you join Microsoft Rewards, you’ll earn points just for using Bing.
Save Money While Shopping
Get money back, or find deals or coupons easily with these apps.
- Ebates – I’ve been using Rakuten (aka Ebates) for many years and I never had issues, and it’s great to receive a check in the mail for your online purchases.
- Ibotta – a free app that gives you real cash back on every purchase, online or in-store. Earn cash back every time you shop for essentials, groceries, and more.
- The Honey App – is a browser extension that automatically finds and applies coupon codes at checkout with a single click.
Make the Marketplace a Better Place!
- Participate in focus groups – used to explore various issues, test solutions, explore the group’s perspective of a problem, and generate ideas.
- Become a mystery shopper – make an impact in their local communities by helping stores, restaurants, and banks become better places for consumers like you to visit.
Start Your Own Online Business
- Start a blog – you can spend an hour or two writing an article, and it can continue to get traffic over a series of weeks, months, and even years.
- Become an Amazon affiliate – With millions of products to choose from on Amazon.com, Amazon Associates use easy link-building tools to direct their readers to products and earn from qualifying purchases.
- Self-publish an e-book – Keep control of your rights and set your own list prices. Make changes to your books at any time.
- Develop an app – Mobile app development can be profitable, but you need to be willing to invest considerable time and effort upfront.
- Be a social media influencer – You should also have some level of expertise in the field to be able to establish yourself as an influencer.
Side Hustle Ideas Where You Sell Online
- Set up an e-commerce store – PPC marketing, or pay-per-click marketing, involves businesses paying for a better chance to generate traffic for their online stores.
- Use Cafepress to sell designs – CafePress.com will let you design and sell merchandise through their online store. Plus, you can make money on the royalties!
- Sell on Amazon – Whether you’ve already got an established e-commerce business, a great idea for a new product.
- Sell on eBay – A Smarter Way to Automate Listing, Syncing & Shipping Across All Sales Channels.
- Sell on Etsy – Sell on Etsy, our app just for sellers, lets you easily manage your business on the go.
- Sell on Craigslist – You can sell items on Craigslist, just like classified ads in newspapers, for free — you don’t even need a Craigslist account.
- Design and sell t-shirts – Sell custom shirts online for free through a Bonfire campaign. Simply design your shirt and set prices.
- Sell your photos – Cash in on your photo addiction by selling your photos on these websites. Each one has a different payment structure.
Car & Driving Side Hustle Ideas
- Drive for Uber or Lyft – Here’s some useful and realistic advice for anyone who is thinking about driving for Uber or Lyft either full-time or part-time.
- Deliver for Uber Eats – the easy way to get the food you love delivered.
- Deliver pizzas – A delivery pizza shop is a convenient option for many customers.
- Advertise on your car – wrap your car in advertising!
Make Money in Real Estate
- Crowdfund real estate with Fundrise – We blend our investment expertise with smart technology to provide our investors with the buying power and investment opportunities.
- Own a rental property – a venture through which an investor will purchase and manage one or more income-producing properties.
Freelance Side Hustle Ideas
These side hustles are great for someone looking for freelance opportunities
- Upwork – connects businesses of all sizes to freelancers, independent professionals, and agencies for all their hiring needs.
- Fiverr – is an online marketplace that is changing how the world works together.
- Writing – the most comprehensive hub for both businesses to hire top-quality writers, and freelance writers to make more money writing.
- Proofreading – means carefully checking for errors in a text before it is published or shared.
- Transcribe documents – outsource your audio or video transcription project and get it precisely transcribe English audio and video files.
- Data entry – business can have a high-profit margin. It all depends on how quickly your employees can finish their jobs.
- Web design – a common dream among many designers, although it takes quite a bit of talent, and business savvy.
- Video editing lets you work on a multitude of clients with a lot of variety in the projects you’re working on.
- Model – finds representation through non-exclusive modeling agencies or seeks out their own opportunities and casting calls.
- Voiceovers – is akin to running a small business, voice actor, or volunteering your talents for charities and not-for-profit organizations.
- Bookkeeping – if you’re good with numbers, maybe have a day job as an accountant or banker, you could offer bookkeeping services to small businesses.
- Write cover letters/resumes (this is a great side hustle for teachers – check out our other side hustle ideas for teachers)
Rental Side Hustle Ideas
Whether it’s a house, a room, a garage, or just individual items, you can put your things to work for you!
- Rent rooms with Airbnb – Many also look to short-term peer-to-peer rentals as a less costly option than the standard hotel room.
- Rent your driveway or garage with YourParkingSpace – Rent your parking space, driveway or garage and see how much you could earn.
- Rent out your car with Turo – List your first car now to get started, then build your business plan and scale how you want!
- Rent out storage space – in your basement or garage!
- Rent equipment – also called plant hire in some countries is a service industry providing machinery.
- Rent out your friendship with Rentafriend – Hire a local Friend to show you around a new town!
- Build an online course – Sell your courses on your own website, with no marketplace middleman.
- Teach English online with VIPKID – Their innovative online platform enables an unprecedented exchange of knowledge.
- Create a YouTube channel – YouTube channels can be monetized even if they don’t have millions of subscribers.
- Teach skills – When you teach online courses, you spread knowledge, skills, and abilities to people.
- Teach music lessons – Most people think that guitar teachers, piano teachers, or any type of musician have to be poor.
Become a Coach / Consultant
You can coach online or in-person on a variety of topics!
- Life coach – Sometimes coaches get paid by the hour and other times by a set program fee.
- Financial coach – They focus on the day-to-day of someone’s financial life.
- Fitness coach – the typical beginner personal trainer starts off their career in a gym as opposed to training private clients.
- Business coach – A good business coach is one that helps support a business process and its people, making it a very profitable career to get into.
- Online dating coach – Our guide on starting an online dating consulting business covers all and gets advice about how to make online dating go more smoothly.
- Travel coach – Setting trip rates can be one of the trickiest parts of being a charter bus or limousine operator.
Home Maintenance Side Hustle Ideas
- Handyman services – It’s an excellent business to start on a part-time basis. You have the potential for high profits.
- House cleaning service – There are always people looking for good, reliable house cleaners. Post your service on sites like Nextdoor.com to meet people in your neighborhood
- Carpet cleaning- Starting a carpet cleaning business has one of the highest rates of return on investment of any business.
- Gutter cleaning – Because some houses are more challenging than others, most gutter cleaners work in pairs.
- Window washing – one of the best service businesses to start, because it requires no lengthy training, has low startup costs, and is always in demand.
- House painting – If you enjoy painting and do it well, you are in a great position to start a painting business that has the potential to be very profitable.
- Pool cleaning – Starting pool maintenance and service business is a tough gig.
- Snow removal – Fast-forward to the present day and plowing snow can be very profitable when done correctly.
- Paint street numbers- I recently paid a gentleman $25 to paint my street numbers on my curb. Took him about 20 minutes and a little paint but then he went down the street and sold to all my neighbors using mine as an example!
- Lawn care – Mow yards, lawn maintenance, etc. One of the “original” side hustles, lawn care is great for a first-timer or someone who wants to run a full-fledged business.
Techie Side Hustle Ideas
- Become a social media manager – If you own your own social media management business, your income is only limited by the number of clients you’re able to land.
- Be a virtual assistant – it’s hard work, and you’ll probably work more hours than you did in employment.
- Do PC / computer repair – people may need a computer repair carried out as a matter of urgency; something office-based providers are unlikely to offer.
- Design PowerPoint presentations – Pitch your topic with ease and precision using these key financial income sources related to business PowerPoint presentation file show PDF.
- Teach or tutor computers and technology – All four spearhead efforts to expand computer science courses.
Service-Based Side Hustle Ideas
- Notary services – Become a notary and offer your services for a fee!
- Recreational sports officiating – Many local recreational sports leagues often look for umpires, referees, and other officials. These are usually paid per game and are on evenings and weekends so it’s perfect for the working side hustler.
- Arbitrage – This is the act of buying something and then reselling it at a higher price. There are a bunch of ways you can do this, but one of the easiest is to download the Amazon Sellers App, then take your phone to a big-box retailer. When you find something retail that’s cheaper than the Amazon price, buy that thing and then sell it on Amazon. Profit the difference!
- Wash & detail cars – It’s one of the most attractive to new business owners is the amount of profit one can generate.
- Personal chef – It’s booming as more consumers eat at home during the coronavirus pandemic rather than at restaurants.
- Babysit – it’s generally pretty well-paid work. It also comes with a number of other benefits.
- Photography – Much like a home, your photography business needs a sturdy foundation.
- Brand ambassador – this one is especially good for college students. Become a brand ambassador and/or a campus rep, show off goods and services, and get paid. Check out Reppr for more.
- Become a local tour guide – this one is especially great if you’re in a high tourist or historical area. Learn all you can about the local sites and history, and sell walking tours to people who would like to know more.
- Drop-shipping – If done right, drop-shipping can be a lucrative side hustle. Build and market a website. When people order products, you have those items shipped from the manufacturer directly.
- DJ service – a DJ can build up their income so that they are earning money even when they are nowhere near a set of decks.
- Tax preparation – During tax time, there are several tax prep companies that hire tax preparer people.
- Party planning
- Wedding planner – wedding consultant’s salary is the number of years they’ve been in the business.
- Wedding officiator – our earnings will vary based on how much you are able to charge for a wedding.
- Doula/birth support – They have a special skill set and invest a lot of time into each of their clients.
- Recycle junk & cans for cash – It earns you a good deal of money from beverage and aerosol manufacturing companies.
- Stock Redbox – Work part-time stocking Redbox movie rental machines.
- Deliver newspapers – It’s an excellent source of income for teens and even adults looking to make extra cash.
- Do microtasks on Mechanical Turk – you can make money performing microtasks on the platform.
- Work-from-home customer service rep – Uhaul, Amazon, and others hire at-home customer service representatives.
What do you think of our list of side hustle ideas? Do you have side hustle ideas we could add? Comment below!